Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Walk in the Sunshine

I hope everyone has been enjoying this lovely weather. As I saw in one of the local papers, who needs to go to the Med just come to sunny Medway. It has certainly made canvassing much nicer. It has been really nice meeting people in the area even those of different political persuasion. I must admit that the people on the doorstep seem to be a lot politer than some of the opposition councillors.

I went to the full council on Thursday. It was a bit of an eye opener. I can remember going to a quite a few years ago, the debates were very heated but everyone ended up in the bar together as friends. In the council chamber on Thursday I heard what to my mind was quite childish behaviour by some of the opposition councillors. If it was not for our Lady Mayor who kept everything under control with a brilliant sense of humour I am sure the meeting would have ended in chaos. Angela (our Mayor) is going to be sadly missed by all when she retires. She will not be standing in the May elections. What really upset me was one councillor was very insulting about the Mayors Chaplin. Even if you hold no religious belief there is such a thing as common courtesy as a guest. Maybe I am just getting too sensitive in my old age, but I don’t think so.

Now back to canvassing. Last week I was lucky to be out with Tracey Crouch. She really has been a joy to work with, even if we don’t support the same football team. I think all those who spoke to her on the doorstep realise what a really genuine young lady she is. I for one am looking forward to a general election and hopefully we can return her as our M.P. This week the canvassing has either been on my own or with my husband Adrian, Many of the older residents will remember him as the councillor with Angela for the old Walderslade Ward. He has been enjoying himself catching up with some people he has not seen for a while. (Who said that men couldn't talk)? Matt has also been canvassing on his own. I think, well really I know he has found the same as me that everyone is very supportive. We have had a lot of feedback on the Capstone Valley petition.
If you want to know more about that please read Matts piece. Or you can always email or ring myself or Matt. We do return peoples emails and calls.

posted by pat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much of your very local infl;uaince ,and interest has an effect on Medway councill.

Princes Park Conservatives said...

Not much influence at the moment because myself (Matt Bright) and Pat have not been voted onto the council yet. Although we know plenty of local Conservative Councillors to get a problem resolved if needed.
If elected, then we will have the same influence (and say) as every other normal Councillor in the chamber, but we will be putting Princes Park first.