Monday, August 25, 2008

A Wet Day in Deal



Yesterday, I braved the bad weather, and visited Deal . I went to watch the Old Comrades play. They are a band made up from retired Royal Marine musicians who live in or near Deal. They were formed in 2005 for a one off concert to play at the Memorial Bandstand. As they said, they went there to play (without rehearsal) to see if they could remember what they learnt while they were with the Marines. They expected just a few people to turn up but they ended with an audience of thousands.
Yesterday, because of the really bad weather only a few hundred turned up. Those of us who did brave the weather still had an enjoyable afternoon.

The Memorial Bandstand was built in memory of the eleven Marine Bandsmen who lost their lives, on 22nd September 1989. A terrorist bomb killed them.

As you will know, from my profile, I grew up in Deal. So the sound of the Royal Marine Band was around all the time I was growing up. My excuse for putting this in a blog for Chatham people is that I know the strong links Chatham and all parts of Medway always had with the Royal Marines. They are one band that could always fill the Central Theatre.
Posted by Pat

No comments: