Friday, February 09, 2007

World Class Music in Medway


Went to the Central Theatre last night. The City of London Sinfonia had braved the snow and ice to come to Chatham. They gave a stunning performance of three Haydn symphonies, and a Mozart concerto for flute & harp. The soloists, Karen Jones and Rachel Masters are both professors at the Royal College of Music. A very talented line-up indeed!

We are very fortunate to have an enlightened Conservative council in Medway that is putting us on the cultural map. Unfortunately the message that first class live entertainment is available in Medway is not getting through to many of its citizens; the theatre was only about 20% full.

The thought occurred to me, that with all those university students we now have in the towns, the council should provide them with cheap tickets, say a pound or two, and develop a new audience for the future.

What are your thoughts on this? Or do you take the contrary view that spending on the arts is a waste of money?

The Sinfonia is next visiting us on the 22nd of April. One of the works is a new composition specially commissioned for Medway. It would be nice to have a full house for such a special event.

posted by Pat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat - I don't think spending money on The Arts is a waste - but I don't think hard pressed Council Tax payers should be expected to foot the bill.

Many more people attend football or rugby matches than go to the opera or ballet - and they have to pay full price. No-one would dream of using public funds to subsidise a ticket to a Premiership Football game.

My own hobby is dining out - but whenever I indulge I pay the bill in full (plus VAT on top). I would not dream of asking tax payers for a subsidy - just imagine the outcry if I did!

Taxation, both local or national, is too high as it is. I don't work hard just to have money taken from me to subsidise other people's cultural pastimes.

Having got that off mky chest - I will still vote for you !