Sunday, June 24, 2007





Darland Bank


I was very lucky to be invited to take a walk on Darland Bank with Alison Ruyter. Alison is the Medway and West Kent Warden and her passion and knowledge is second to none. When we started our walk she was pointing out wild flowers and I could not understand how she was able to pick them out so easily. But by the end of the walk my fellow walkers and I were doing the same. I suppose we all just need to learn to use our eyes properly. I will not try to make out that I now have a great knowledge on the make up of Darland Bank now. But Alison has given me a thirst to know more.

I was going to try and explain why parts of the bank are being cleared. But I do realise that it will only show up my ignorance. So why not log on to her web site ww.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk. and find out more for yourself. One thing that was great was they are using Exmoor ponies and goats to help. So not only do we gain from this beautiful spot also these animals have a lovely retirement.

The next thing we have got to think about is our own bank. Yes that Bank in Princes Park. If we work together with the Wild Life Trust we can have something really special here. Yes it will need money but it also needs people. That is people of all ages. I am sure there must be a group of bored youngsters who would love to help pull out the scrub and generally have fun getting dirty. If you do, let me know or get in touch with Alison at Kent Wildlife Trust.
.
posted by pat

No comments: