Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Brenchley Unit

The Brenchley Unit

I have spent today with a group of dedicated people. They run a centre for people with a Personality Disorder. Actually I will rephrase that, I spent the day with dedicated people who run the centre, and just as dedicated people who use the centre. My mind is in a complete whirl after spending time there. The patients have suffered badly in life, but there they are not only trying to turn their own lives around but helping others to do the same. I went there after reading many articles and came to the conclusion that “ these people” should be in residential accommodation. It took less than fifty minutes to realize I was so, so wrong. They are not “these people”, they are you and me, our next door neighbours our family. We all have problems in life but I wonder how many of us would have coped without mum and dad, big brothers or sisters husbands and wives. Just someone, at the ends of the day, that gives us a lot of unconditional love. I can honestly say the people at Brenchley gave me so much.

The Community at Brenchley has capacity for up to 24 members for twelve months, bringing in new members from a preparatory group as others leave the programme. The latter are encouraged to join a weekly “leavers” group, while every effort is made to monitor those who drop out prematurely. It is the case that a significant number of dropouts return to complete their 12 months.

I could write pages of my feelings about today. But I think I should stop here. The one thing I will leave you all with. Mental health is not a “sexy” subject but it is important. With luck you may never need it but if you do, it needs to be there. It should not be the poor cousin of the NHS.

.
posted by Pat

No comments: