Saturday, December 06, 2008

“WALK IN OUR SHOES”



“WALK IN OUR SHOES”

If you have read Tracey’s blog this week you will know a little about this subject. I was lucky to be invited to take part. The idea was to gain an understanding and awareness of autism.

I was like Tracey I knew nothing about autism. Unlike Tracey I was invited to join a family for a few hours to see the day-to-day problems. I went along to see them Friday afternoon and instead of the shopping trip we had planned we had a nice chat over a cup of tea.

The family I joined have three lovely children the two youngest are autistic. As well as talking to mum I had chance to talk to their eldest child about living with autistic siblings. She explained how it impinges on her life. But in no way did I see any bitterness she obviously loved the two younger members of the family and though there are many things she would like to do, but cannot, she understood. One of the things she said was that she would love to go to Lapland with the family, but this is impossible, as her brother could not cope with the travelling.

I would like to relay what their mother wrote to me before we met
“Before I had children I had a good job, well paid etc. but having children with these kinds of disabilities has involved a huge sacrifice. I have had to give up my job to become a full time carer so relying on one income means we live life on a tight budget. It was only recently that I discovered there are allowances available for families whose children are disabled. There is no ready available information for families in situations like ours. The local authorities, government and education bodies need to make support and information more ready available. It would be so helpful and supportive to parents who, upon diagnoses of these disabilities to be provided with details about allowances, including disability, carer etc. information about parent support group and a general extended hand that helps parents feel supported and are offered some direction and reassurance.”

Please do not get the wrong idea. Mum is not one for crying in her tea. She is a strong person who is the nucleus of a very loving family. It was a privilege to meet her and the children and I am looking forward to meeting up with them again. We agreed to meet up again when I can meet Dad.

posted by Pat

No comments: