Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Remembered Recipe




Katie's Kitchen Scrapbook




I was looking through my old recipe scrapbook the other day. I was looking for things my husband could use the left overs from Christmas. I came across some recipes from about forty years ago. Some of our older residents will probably remember Katie from the OXO advert. Well one of the recipes I found was one of Katie's labelled Money Spinner. Which I will write out at the end.




Well the reason for this blog is that it made me think that there are quite a few residents who may have ideas on how to save money. It could be recipes or how to make cleaning equipment go further or anything. I thought it might be a good idea if we shared this with others. I can see the recession getting a lot worse and may all have to tighten are belts. So if we all started thinking now how to save perhaps we may get through this.




So come on ladies and gents lets have your recession beaters.




My Recipe


Beanfeast Flan




Rub 1 1/2 oz. marg. and 1 1/2 oz lard into 6oz sieved flour.


Add 1 oxo cube dissolved in tablesp. hot water (cooled),


and enough cold water to make a firm dough. Roll out and line 9" flan dish.


Bake blind 15 minutes (gas mark 6) removing baking beans and cook a further 10 minutes.


Fry 2oz chopped bacon, 2oz sliced mushrooms and 1 chopped onion until tender. Add one can of baked beans 1 oxo cube and heat through. Turn into pastry case and top with mashed potato and a knob of butter. Brown under the grill.


posted by Pat

No comments: